Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Streets Of Seattle

Snoozed for an extra twenty minutes this morning, knowing that my boss would be at a doctor's appointment and wouldn't notice my late arrival (don't say anything...). So I was feeling a little better-rested and more leisurely than average, as I left for the next express bus downtown.

On my way out of the apartment's parking lot, through the alley, I saw a $20 bill, face up right in the middle of the pavement, plastered to the ground in the rain. I peeled it up, soggily--yes, it was a $20 bill all right. And nearby...a $10 bill, also wet and stuck to the ground. I looked around--is this some sort of trick? Somebody laying in wait for me? No...but I did spy a stack of more $20 bills. The streets of Seattle were paved with cash!

Total take: $150, in wet, gritty bills. I checked the area as thoroughly as I could, since I didn't want to miss my bus (it was the last express bus of the morning), but it seems like you can only lose so much in one rainy day, so there was nothing more for me to find. Too bad--both for me, and for the poor bastard who lost all this, now literally poorer for it. I'd put up a sign near the alley entrance, asking if anyone lost any money recently...but I just watched NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN a few nights ago. Object lesson: don't try to do the right thing about found money.

Now I'm feeling extravagant. Was going to Tat's for a cheesesteak at lunch, seeing if anyone would want to go with me...but I splurged on a breakfast sandwich (ham and egg on ciabatta, no cheese, from Specialty Bakery downstairs), so another sandwich would be redundant. I try not to eat the same thing within a two-day period, like to keep my diet varied. Last night I had pasta, linguine al bachelor, so that rules out pad thai or udon noodles today. And for dinner I'm making garlic rice and baked pork ribs, so I don't want fried rice from any of the oriental options here in the International District. Maybe I'll just get a big ol' order of pot stickers from Hing Loon. I don't know. At the moment, I'm not feeling hungry. I am feeling bountiful, though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Carolyn said...

Damn, Russ! Does this happen often in your town?

Thu Apr 23, 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Russ the Librarian said...

If I said yes, would you come out here and move in with me?

Thu Apr 23, 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Irene said...

Where did you say you lived again??? LOL I'll have to check out that area next time I'm out!! :D

Glad to hear of your wind-fall (or should that be rain-fall??!)! Hope the good luck holds!

Later,
LW

Mon May 04, 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home