Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pork Windfall

My car is out of commission, so this last weekend my Marxist-Leninist Ex-Roommate drove me down to Tacoma to check out a 1989 Mazda 626 I saw on Craigslist. (I decided not to go for it, but anyway.) While we were down there, he was gracious enough to drive me on a grocery run for my mother, whom I hadn't seen since Christmas (due to my Honda needing a distributor and coil, probably not worth the cost of repair).

As I was loading several bags of Safeway groceries into his car, I happened to notice a shopping cart left up against the lamp post next to us. It had a plastic bag left in it, seems that someone was loading up their car in a hurry and left one of their purchases behind (it was raining fairly hard, so that's not surprising). I looked around, to see if there was anyone nearby who would claim it...no one. I checked the bag: it was a Family-Pak of country-style pork ribs. Almost seven pounds' worth.

OK, found food is one thing. But this wasn't pre-packaged, it was in that butcher department shrink-wrap on a styrofoam tray. Anyway, I grabbed it and took it home.

Upon further inspection, it had a package date of the 24th, the same day I found it, and there weren't any obvious breaks in the plastic. It seemed to be a perfectly good pack of meat, just left behind for a few minutes outside in the rain.

So I got into it: last night I cooked up a pot of garlic rice, and threw two of the ribs into a casserole dish and baked at 425F for a while. Came out great, and was a great dietary boost, since I've had a sore throat the last few days, and could use the nourishment.

Today I stopped at Uwajimaya and picked up the biggest baking potato I could find, made some mashed potatoes while I baked some more ribs. Excellent.

And I called my mother, asked her how she makes that pork rib soup, with the barley. She went over it, think I'm going to try and cook up a pot of that before throwing whatever pork I have left into the freezer (individually wrapped in wax paper).

Pork largesse! Is "porciferous" a word (yet)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home