Saturday, February 20, 2010

Midwinter

What a day. By noon it was warm enough to open the windows in my bedroom and in the living room (I have southern frontage). The Seattle TIMES reports it got up to 57 today. Perfectly clear sky, no breeze. I got out the denim shorts, for the first time since October or so, and took the bike out of storage downstairs, then rode up to the filling station to firm up the tires. Then cycled around for a bit, flexing my quads some, not wanting to overdue it. No jacket, just a flannel over my t-shirt, and a small backpack--I was going down to Fred Meyer's for some sundries, figured I'd do some light shopping. I'm almost out of paper towels; this is only the second roll I've had to buy since My Crazy Ex-Roommate moved out last April, whereas she'd burn through a roll in three weeks. And I've had a hell of a time matching the second light bulb in the bathroom, since I want to switch to those econo-bulbs and I had to replace a tungsten; could never get the color temperature/brightness to match the one I have now. Today, success.

Perfect riding weather today: cool and sunny, but no breeze. Even now, drawing up on 7:00pm, it's too stuffy in here for me not to open a window or two here in the living room. And it's February, technically midwinter here. The east coast and the midwest are buried in snow, and I'm wearing my denim knee-lengths. Don't tell me it's global warming--our summer was fairly mild as well. And to think, someone recently took me to task for preferring "horrible rainy climates". Sure, it'll be down to the 30s overnight, the temperature will drop fairly fast now that the sun is down, but the days will be just fine. That's another thing: first sunset of the new year, I got to watch the sun go down while having a beer on the couch. Bachelorhood at its finest.

Now I'm having leftover almond fried chicken and rice from Julie's Garden, before I walk down to the liquor store for more Black Velvet and Red Hook. Then it's downtown, shoot some pool and get in some pinball. This lion in winter is having a capital time. Ain't life grand?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bop_vito said...

Life is.
Grand.
Every day you're above ground.
Is a good one.
As my grandmother used to say.
Look where she is now!

Sun Mar 07, 07:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home