Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscars 2011

5:31pm
They started half an hour early this year!  I was barely back from A-Pizza Mart with my large sausage and onion in time for the kick-off.  Good thing I plan ahead (I almost got caught short by an early start in 2001, too, so I’m good to go this year--).  Pizza from A-Pizza (closest thing to what Godfather's *used* to be like--fuck you, Herman Cain), salad from Central Market, a slice of coconut cream pie for afters, a pint of Seagram's 7, and a refrigerator full of Red Hook ESB.  Ready as I'll ever be--

A very straight-ahead affair this year:  no big production numbers, just Billy Crystal’s opening bit where he walks through the year’s nominated Best Picture nominees.  No countdown from the red carpet, like in years past.  But this early start has me scrambling to get my laptop set up, and keep current on the awards as they're announced.  The pacing is pretty fast this time out.

5:44pm
First winners are Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction, both to HUGO.  I predicted both, since HUGO is such a sensory assault, whereas THE ARTIST is simply beautiful.  I think HUGO is going to be a big winner tonight.

5:55pm
Best Costume goes to THE ARTIST, which is fair.  I’d predicted HUGO, but only because I think that might sweep.
6:14pm
Octavia Spencer wins for THE HELP, and tearfully falls apart during her acceptance speech.  I didn't see THE HELP, but I figured if it picked up anything, this would be the category.

6:21pm
So they threw in a sketch by Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, and Catherine O’Hara?  A test group for WIZARD OF OZ back in 1939?  Cool, but…

6:26pm
Editing to GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, which I didn’t see--but I could see how a David Fincher film might win in this category--Fincher won last year with SOCIAL NETWORK.  SOUND EDITING and Best Sound Mixing both go to HUGO, which is picking up a lot of momentum:  could it overtake THE ARTIST and win in the top categories?
6:38pm
If you’re going to have a big dance number that celebrates movies, by all means have Cirque du Soeil do it.
6:45pm
Best Documentary acceptance speech got played off, and when that didn’t work they cut off the mic.  That might be an Oscar first….
6:49pm

Best Animated to RANGO, which was my pick:  Hollywood loves movies about itself, and RANGO was an homage to Hollywood westerns.  And a lot of fun to boot.

6:53pm
I hate Ben Stiller, generally; but I have to admit his Oscar presentation bits have been pretty good.  And again this year, with his time at the podium with Emma Stone.

7:03pm
Very classy acceptance speech by Christopher Plummer for Best Supporting Actor in BEGINNERS.  I had predicted Max von Sydow for EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, since Sydow has been around for almost 50 years. 

7:16pm
Best Original Score to THE ARTIST, which only makes sense (and I had predicted), since in an otherwise silent movie the score really stands out.

7:18pm
THE MUPPETS win for Best Original Song, as I thought, since the Academy likes movies about Hollywood.  Also, good presentation by Will Ferrell and Zach Galinifankis.

7:31pm
Best Adapted Screenply goes to THE DESCENDANTS, which makes me very happy, even more over my pick of MONEYBALL.  Alexander Payne gave a very nice speech, calling out his mother, he says, because Javier Bardem did when he won for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.  Best Original Screenplay goes to Woody Allen for MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.  That one was easy.


7:40pm
THE SHORE wins for Best Live Action Short Subject.  Never heard of it. 
SAVING FACE win for Best Documentary Short Subject.  Never heard of it.

THE FANTASTIC FLYING BOOKS OF MR. MORRIS LESSMORE wins Best Animated Short Subject. –
7:55pm
Michel Hazanavicius wins Best Director for THE ARTIST.  So Scorsese loses again.  I’m still thinking that HUGO might pull ahead and win Best Picture, since Hollywood seems to like 3-D more than black-and-white.

7:58pm
And a standing ovation to James Earl Jones, Oprah Winfrey,and makeup artist Dick Smith.  Excellent.


8:07pm
A moving In Memoriam segment, that mostly listed people even I don’t recognize.  Which is not to speak ill of the deceased, but I could only raise my glass respectfully to Peter Falk and Sidney Lumet.  And here’s to them—

8:20pm
OK, so Best Actor goes to Jean Dujardin for THE ARTIST.  I was pulling for George Clooney, I thought his performance in THE DESCENDANTS was more nuanced.  Here's hoping the Academy voters were appreciating the subtleties of silent film acting, rather than just the novelty.  This adds to THE ARTIST’s sweep, but I’m still holding out that Best Picture may go to HUGO.

8:40pm
Best Actress goes to Meryl Streep, who gave a very gracious acceptance speech.  This is another one (after Best Makeup) that shows the Academy likes performances that highlight familiar likenesses.

THE ARTIST as Best Picture is consistent with Oscar predictors, but is still less than a win I’d thought for HUGO.  I don’t mind it, though.  And I'm willing to bet that Scorsese is happy with it too:  no doubt in my mind he loves THE ARTIST.

And that was the shortest, tightest Oscar ceremony I can remember.  I, for one, don't want to know what Brett Ratner and Eddie Murphy would've done with it.

As for my predictions:  I called 13 out of 21 winners (I didn't hazard a guess on the short subjects, since I hadn't seen or read anything about them).  Not bad, better luck next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home